Monday, October 12, 2009

I ate...!

Goose eggs! Yes, that's right, I ate goose eggs over shabbos. It was amazing. Actually, they are pretty much just like big chicken eggs, but I think just having eaten them is kind of awesome. That was only one of the highlights of the weekend, but I don't have time to post everything now; today is Dia de la Razas here (Latin America's answer to Columbus Day) so there are no classes. I am going to avoid all of the protests and crowds and walk to the very large Parque Tres de Febrero. Supposedly there are a few awesome things to see there, and it is a beautiful for a stroll in the park, perhaps a picnic.
Speaking of a picnic, I experienced a phenomenal Argentine tradition last Wednesday called the asado. An asado is pretty much a barbecue on steriods. Burgers and franks are no where to be found, instead, steaks and these massive ribs are the stars. The steaks are good, but the ribs, with a thick layer of flavorful fat that, over the two hours they spend over the coals (if you use gas here they publicly flog you after a first offense, after that, to the gallows), renders into the meat and make them, frankly, ridiculously good. So unhealthy but who cares?
And to segue from unhealthy, after Hoshanah Rabbah davening the Jabad served breakfast to the congregation (perhaps rewarding us for sitting through a two hour davening on a weekday). I had conits de dulce de leche. The best way to describe it would be to say that it is exactly like a crembo, except instead of marshmallow fluff inside it is filled to brim with dulce de leche. Amazing! Between the conitas and the ribs, and this deli meat that they have here (I forget the name) that is like a mortadella but with an egg inside, I am going to develop cardiac problems and diabetes while I am here. It's worth it.
What is everyone doing for Columbus Day? And have the leaves turned yet? If anyone goes upstate and catches the fall foliage, and happens to take a picture, send it to me! How I miss autumn in New York (and early shabbos, it keeps getting later here!)
Chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment