Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I moved!

Yesterday I moved in with a older Argentine couple. Finally.
The hostel was getting to be too much; too much nice, too much activity, too much lack of sleep, too much lack of privacy, and too much lack of speaking Spanish. Now in this apartment I have my own room and bathroom, breakfast and dinner with the family, peace, quiet, and, last night, my first uninterrupted night of sleep in a week and a half.
I also took my Spanish test today which was quite easy. It is funny, though, that one can do so well in a language in a classroom setting but fail to be able to converse. This is one of the reasons I have decided to leave the class and instead learn Spanish through trial and error, by immersion and attempting to communicate. Hopefully this Thursday I will start and internship with a transplant surgeon. I went to one of his research conferences today, and, though I barely understood a word, he wore his Mt Sinai white coat (he used to work there) which made me feel right at home.

2 comments:

  1. apropos, it sounds like you need to leave civilization all together and truly immerse yourself in their culture and language!
    good luck with the internship...will we being seeing pictures of this as well;)
    kinney

    ReplyDelete
  2. ¡Que tengas suerte!

    ReplyDelete