Tuesday, October 27, 2009

My First Steak

On Sunday night, after the Futbol game, I went to my first restaurante de carne in Buenos Aires. There were five of us; four Israeli from the hostel and me. We hailed down a ffew cabs until we found one who would let us squeeze five into the car, and we were off to Asian (pronounced Ah'-see-ahn) in Palermo. The actual place is very nice, clean, with a simple decor, very comfy chairs, a neat light that slowly changes colors along the tops of the walls, and good music playing in the background. The waitress spoke perfect English as well. However, all that was not important; we (or at least I) came for the food.
As we sat down we received complementary shot-glasses filled with a very yummy pine-apple-orange-something drink to refresh us as we read the all-English menu. They have gizzards! I almost ordered them, I really was this close, but I in the end my desire to have an Argentine steak was too strong. Four of us ordered the rib-eye steak and one very brave soul ordered the rib steak. After we ordered they brought a basket of bread and - this was quite shocking - everytime we finished the bread basket they brought another one! Unlimited bread! That never happens in New York!
The rib-eye was a near-perfect piece of meat, glazed with pineapple among other things (it is an asian-fusion place) but it was not too sweet; perfectly cooked, a very nice size (say, as big as two fists), and with a side of delicious chunks of fried potatoes instead of the ubiquitous french fry, it was one of the best steak dinners I have ever eaten, easily on par with Prime Grill in New York. The rib steak blew my mind. It was at least (I am underestimating here I think) a foot and a half long, 8 inches wide at its widest, and a good inch and a half thick. With a huge bone running through it covered in crispy fat, it was a piece of meat Fred Flintstone would have been proud of. I've never seen its like in a New York restaurant. The fellow who ordered it wasn't able to finish, so I had the privilege of eating his bone. Yum!
The best part was that my steak cost 54 pesos, or about 14 dollars! The massive steak was 94 pesos, or around 25 dollars! I found out after that Asian is one of the most expensive restaurants in Buenos Aires! I cannot wait to eat more.

No comments:

Post a Comment