Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I couldn't help it


I broke. It is so hard keeping kosher, it was too much. I had to find the first McDonald's and just go for it. How liberating! I never thought eating McDonald's. I mean, I've always heard that the food isn't so great, but the feeling of liberation after biting into that burger! Wait, what? The McDonald's was kosher!


Alright, so I was kidding. I have desire to stop eating kosher, and it is pretty easy to do here. I just had to do the whole kosher McDonald's shtick at least once, and I wanted to at least find something positive to say about it. Well, it wasn't the worst thing I've ever eaten. In fact, it was better than pretty much any other fast food kosher burger I've ever had. The fries were standard, thin, crispy and salty, not bad but not outstanding either, and the burger was a bizarre exercise in uniformity. The three buns (I got a BigMac) and two burgers were perfectly circlular and were exactly the same size. The flavors were also strangely uniform, without any texture or flavor contrast at all. I can easily see how a regular diet of these can desensitize someone's taste buds. I can see myself eating there again if I ever happen to be in the area and hungry; it's fast, cheap, and, while not great or even healthy for that matter, it is a decent fast option for a place where you can't even find kosher food in a normal supermarket (without the kosher list, which is in Spanish and which I will not shlep around). I won't be making any more pilgrimages to McDonald's however. I was Yotzei, I got the experince behind me, and I am glad it is over.

3 comments:

  1. I have desire of stop eating kosher?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wereyou Yotzi Deoraisa?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, You almost got me there!!

    I thought you really ate Non-Kosher. And at a Mcdonalds!!

    Btw, This wouldn't have been your first time eating Non-Kosher as you gravitate towards the Non-traditional "Supervision" in the "God I love the city" city.

    All the best

    ReplyDelete