Wednesday, November 11, 2009

An Age Old, Universal Rule Remains Unbroken

Today I ventured outside to give my back and little exercise and fresh air, and to get lunch. I went to a small dairy place and ate a torta, a kind of like a frittata but less eggy and more vegetably. In fact, mine was almost entirely vegetables, with whatever egg inside just holding the vegetable patty together. Very healthy, and also pretty tasty, but with such an overload of vegetables I needed something sweet and fatty afterward to cut the heart-clearing goodness of some many plants. I was walking and saw an all-kosher chalav yisrael Heladeria or ice cream shop, and I decided to try it. Now, in Argentina, the main ice cream franchises have many kosher flavors, and all of them are divine; they transcend the natural order of ice cream to something far more superior than man or angel could create in the USA. I figured that the chalav yisrael ice cream here, while definitely would not be as good, might be able to surpass the universal truth in the USA that anything chalav yisrael (especially ice cream) is extremely inferior. Unfortunately my hopes fell to the ground like a soon-to-be crying kids ice cream falling from his cone on a hot day. The ice cream at this place may have been the worst ice cream I have ever eaten, barring, perhaps, the chalav yisrael brands in the States, which, thankfully, I haven't eaten many time. If you come to Buenos Aires, stick with the mainstream ice cream, and if you only eat chalav yisrael, either quit, or avoid the ice cream here altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment