Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Sex, Drugs, and Miami Boys

Jewish music has quite a tradition of using mainstream music, either deliberately putting Jewish lyrics to popular tunes, like Lenny Solomon and Shlock Rock, or sometimes even hijacking less popular non-Jewish tunes and using them as their own, like what MBD did with the German pop band Dschingis Khan and their eponymous Eurovision entry. This video (assuming I embedded it properly) is the first example I have ever seen of the reverse in culture sharing. It surprised me a bit that these rap singers would take music from Miami Boys, as I find that the only music less enjoyable than rap is the Miami Boys and like music, though I guess they are in good company. What is even weirder is the use of Miami Boys' Eshes Chayil for this song, which may have a little bit of the Eshes in it, but not much of the chayil, or any of the other adjectives used to describe the Jewish ideal of woman (or, as some hold, the Torah).

2 comments:

  1. Yep, I think this is officially the weirdest thing I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA I saw this tonight and then saw that you had posted it on your blog! Crazy stuff, woulda made my night if I hadn't seen a real concert afterwards... ;)

    ReplyDelete