Friday, November 20, 2009

Puerto Madero

On Thursday I went to Puerto Madero, one of the ritzier neighborhoods in Buenos Aires, where I walked around, went to the Nature Reserve, and had some ice cream while sitting on the dock listening to a jazz-swing party at one of the yacht clubs. The neighborhood was a bit to planned and cold, no personality there, the Nature Reserve was, well, besides trees there wasn't much nature, but at least I got to see the coast! Buenos Aires is a port city but until yesterday I did not see the port. It was also a day that reminded me of my grandfathers. There were a bunch of sailboats in the dock, and my maternal grandfather had a sailboat. I also saw this:

There are three things I can think of how this pictures reminds me of my paternal grandfather, and if you can guess them, well, you know Sabba.
The ice cream, was, as usual, delicious.
After walking around for quite a bit I went to a conversation club in the Hillel, where Argentines come to converse in English with the help of native speakers, and I met a new American friend there from Erie Pennsylvania, Elana. After the club I went out to eat with her and Jason in Mama Jacinta, leaving just one more of the big meat restaurants that I have not eaten at yet.
Today Elana and I went to the zoo, which was a lot of fun; it is really nice having someone to travel with and, while traveling alone has its pluses, I think I am ready for a bit of a shift of gears. I also decided today that I will not be ale to make my way south, at least not El Calafate or Ushuaia (the big glacier or the end of the world), as it is way too expensive just to get there, but I will play my travels out by ear. To be honest, in retrospect, traveling in the beginning and staying in the city now would have been ideal, as things were cheaper in the earlier part of spring and now is when the city is coming even more alive and when my friend are doing more in the city, but I will still go around and see bits of the country. I will save the south for my next trip to Argentina. It is definitely a country I would come back to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment