Thursday, November 12, 2009

Japanese Garden, Return to Rosedal, and the Future

This week I spent most of my time lying on back, and it wasn't to have fun; for some bizarre reason my lower decided it wanted to be 80 years old and for a couple of days I couldn't move. I cannot wait to get old. Being stuck at home for a few days gave me ample opportunity to think about my future plans for this trip and my travels post Argentina; I still have February through August free, and I am also looking to get out of Buenos Aires and into the rest of Argentina.
I have decided that, hopefully starting next Sunday, I will leave the city and travel south to Ushuaia, El Calafate, Bariloche, Mendoza, maybe a bit of Chile, and perhaps more. I am going to try to be back in Buenos Aires for Chanuka (kosher food and shuls are very rare outside the city; I'll be living on fruit and attempting to find Chabad houses for Shabbos). After Chanuka I am going to go in the other direstion and see as much as I can of the northeast and northwest; Salta, Jujuy and Iguazu among others, maybe see another country as well. That is the extent of my plans, and I think that I am not going to plan any farther than that; I am going to take this trip as it comes (though there are a few things that are must-sees).
When I get back from Argentina I am going to have to replenish my funds for a bit (anyone know of a short-term decent paying job? Keep an eye out for me!) before I go anywhere else. The ideas, so far, are to spend some time in Israel working as a farmer, something I have always wanted to do, with extended stops in European cities on the way in and out of Israel. That would only be for a month and a half or so, so my summer would still be free, and it is during the summer that I want to do the highlight of my year off.
There is something I have been dreaming of doing for some time now, something that I really must do before I begin medical school, something that, if I do not manage to pull it off before the end of the year, I will be quite disappointed. I want to bike from the East Coast to the West Coast, across the entire USA. It is very doable. It would take around 8 weeks of not too intense biking and having rest/touring days. And it would allow me to spend every single shabbos in a different Jewish community. This is something i am pretty dead-set on doing. I have mentioned it a few people and, of course, they think I am nuts and tell me I cannot go, but they seem to concede a little on the condition that I go with someone else. As long as I do not do the ride alone, it is fine. Well, I don't know anyone who would do this ride. If I did, we would either be great friends or married, depending on the gender of said rider. That said, any readers want to ride across the USA with me this summer? If not, do you know anyone who might want to do the ride? And if you are a girl, don't take that last statement as a preemptive proposal, though I must say it wouldn't be far off.

No comments:

Post a Comment