Monday, November 16, 2009

Has Anyone Heard This Not-So-Flattering Moniker Before?

I had to come all the way to Argentina to hear a kind-of-clever-but-not-so-nice nickname for a certain neighborhood in Brooklyn. At the Friday night meal I was talking to the 14 year old son of our host (he was quite impressed when I told him that my cousins were in the Yeshiva Boys Choir; he is a huge fan) and I asked him if he had ever been to NY. He said yes, and told me that he went to Schnorrer Park. At first I thought he got the name wrong, but when I understood what he was saying I cracked up. I'd never heard that used before to refer to Borough Park.
In other news, I just got off the phone with a friend that I met here from Alabama, and he told me he knows some frum guys traveling to El Calafate really soon. It wasn't part of the plan, but I think I am going to try and join them last minute, as this is an opportunity too good to pass on. If I am able to join (there are a few factors involved, not the least of which is getting hold of a ticket) I won't have internet for a bit, so I will be off blog (though maybe not; if I can find an internet cafe I will post), but if I do not manage to join up with them, I will post.

No comments:

Post a Comment