Sunday, June 27, 2010

Amsterdam

I spent the first day in Amsterdam walking. I walked around in the morning on my own, I went on a guided walking tour in the afternoon, and I walked around more in the evening and night. I like Amsterdam, it is chraming. I wasn't shocked by anything, everything was as I expected. The architecture is nice, the canals are charming, the red light district is, well, what you would expect. The best thing I saw was a raft made of a flat wooden floor with six plastic oildrums bolted to the bottom and an outboard motor and couch on top. That was it. Two guys were just literally couch surfing down one of the canals.
The second day I rented a bike and biked in Amsterdam Noord (north) where I saw lots of fields and canals and cows and even some of the famous windmills. The bike ride was nice, and very easy (this country is so flat!), but it was then that I made the decision to come home early. I am still kicking myself for it, but I am sure it will all work out in the end. At night I took a walk and stumbled upon the International Thetre School's fesival/party and joined, where I found out about ParkPop, supposedly the biggest pop music festival in Europe, kind of like the European Woodstock, which takes place in Den Haag. Just that morning I got an email from Ephraim teling me about the amazing herring in Scheveningen, a beach suburb of Den Haag, and I decided to go after shabbos.
I had planned to go to the museums in Amsterdam on Friday, but after seeing how much they wanted to charge (14 euro for Van Gogh and 12.50 for the Rijksmueum, which was mostly closed undergoing renovations) I decided to skip the museums, and I walked around the last bits of the city that I had not seen yet, including Vondelpark, a realy nice park, and the outdoor Bloemenmarkt, the flower market, where the two most ubiquitous products were tulip bulbs and cannbis seeds.
After I was finished with the city I went to the family I was staying at for shabbos, the son of the family I ate with last week in London. Nice family, their kids have the reddest hair I have ever seen. If you look straight at their heads you get blinded, it was that intensely and brightly red. There was another North american there for shabbos, a Canadian med student who was an absolute pleasure to talk to. He did philosophy in undergrad and has a masters in theoretical physics and is now in med school and we had some brilliant conversation, easily the highlight of shabbos.
Shabbos endd extremely late (we didn't make havdallah until 12, the fast is going to be torture), and after showering and using the internet, I got to bed at around 2.
And woke up at 6 to catch the tain to Den Haag.
All shabbos and before people were telling me that Amsterdam is the only thing really worthwhile seeing in The Netherlands, that it is a boring country, that the rest of it is just plain old nothing. I never believe people when they say things like that, especially if they are city people. As a New Yorker, I am also biased against the surrounding areas, so I went to Den Haag anyway, especially as there was that huge music festival going on and great herring to try. I was only going to stay a day, but something happened that made me stay for longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment