Friday, June 11, 2010

Catching Up Part 2 and Shabbos in Edinburgh

On Thursday I tok a free walking tour of the city which pointed out, among other things, the school that Hogwarts was based on, and the graves of McGonnagall and thomas Riddle in a cemetary overlooked by the very cafe that JK wrote her books in. Harry Potter fans, be jealous! I ate, for the second time, at the only kosher place in town, a vegetarian Indian restaurant (didn't I mention it?) whith an all-you-can-eat lunch buffet. Let me tell you, when you are surviving on rye crackers and tuna, a buffet hot meal is heaven. Thursday was a pretty quiet day though, as were all of the days in Edinburgh. I wandered around the city, met the fellow I would be staying by for shabbos (Ohad Kramar, great guy), napped in the park, and went out at night. Friday was more of the same, though in the afternoon I moved my stuff from the hostel to Ohad's flat.
The Jewish community in Edinburgh was great, really nice people, less mainstream than the rest of the Jews, who all pretty much live in London and Manchester. Shabbos was really great though, especially as I met a guy from Baltimore who knows my family. He even met my brother a few times! Weird Jewish-geography moment. We took a walk up Arthur's Seat again and through the Old Town. The weather was pretty amazing too, for the most part, until it went from sunny to pouring in a minute. shabbos was insanely long too; we couldn't daven maariv until 11:15! By the time I got back to Ohad's flat, it was 12:30, and I had to wake up at 4! And Ohad wasn't home yet, and I had to use the internet to prep for my trip to the Highlands. I waited up for him, he returned at 2:30 and made us both pancakes. I ended up sleeping an hour, waking up an hour later to catch a bus to Fort William, the town closest to Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in all Great Britain.

No comments:

Post a Comment