Friday, June 11, 2010

Skye

By the time I got to the Isle of Skye, one of the inner Hebrides, I was exhausted, so I went to the hostel, checked in, took a shower (yes, I sat on the bus for three hours smelling, well, rather gross), and prepped to go to bed. I just wanted to take a short walk to see the town...
And I passed by a pub where they were playing live Scottish/Celtic music! I love that stuff! So, I went into the pub, got a local ale from the only brewery on Skye, and had a great time for over an hour, met some Polish girls traveling, and then, finally, went to bed.
The next morning (I was still exhausted; I woke up at 6. It's the sun's fault!) I rented a bike and biked around the island for 60 miles or so. what a beautiful area. The pictures are on Facebook. It was the nicest bike ride I have ever done. I also ran out of water with about 15 miles left even though I took over half a gallon, and there was no where to fill it up, so I returned tired AND dehydrated. But it was totally worth it, and I even got to see the Outer Hebrides and got to do something I have wanted to do for years: I got to sit on the Hebrides, looking at the Henrides, listening to the Hebrides. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3MiETaBSnc.
I took a shower when I got back and drank lots of water and tea and juice to recover. I ate also, a lot, and took a short walk after. I saw that the pub was advertising more free Scottish music, so I went again, got the same beer, and finished it really quickly when I realized that band was only covering overplayed American rock songs (why do the British love "Sweet Home Alabama" so much?).
I went back to the hostel and watched Star Wars episode one, one of the worst movies ever made, with an Austrian.
Oh yeah! I almost forgot! At the hostel there were a bunch of danish biker dudes from Norway, and at the pub that night they were all a bit drunk and wearing viking helmets for national viking day. It is a great story, but I cannot do justice to it in text. Call me if you want to hear it.
After the Duel between Obi-Wan and Darth Maul, I went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment