Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Magic of Travel

I was tired. I spent all night doing laundry and packing, and I got only three hours of sleep. I spent all day walking around the Tower of London, it was hot, and, despite a multitude of sitting breaks, I realized that my knee is a lot less recovered than I thought. I was hot, sweaty, getting bored of, or at least too used to, London, and between being tired, my knee hurting, and the feeling of boredom, the first thoughts of going home started to flit across my semi-consciousness. The hot and sweaty train ride to the airport and the shlepping 50 pounds of bag on my back with my knee didn't do much to help, and I have to admit tha my mood was dropping faster than the UK's welfare benefits.
Then I got to airport security.
Over a hundred people were queued up waiting to walk through the metal detectors, taking their phones out of their pockets and their belts off, all of s sharing the wonderful universal experience that is airtravel.
A smile started to creep across my face.
The "Strange Creatures" music from Doctor Who started playing in my head (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqm4vaWJhpw).
By the time I got through security I was grinning ear to ear, rejuvenated, reenergized, ready to go, excited to visit yet another new place, all thoughts of home vanishing from my mind, the pain (almost) leaving my knee, and was psyched, once again, to travel, reminding me why I love doing this. I have no idea how I am going to 'settle down' again.

No comments:

Post a Comment