Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Edinburgh So Far

It rained the entire morning non-stop today. Finally! I was beginning to think that 'rainy England' was a myth. I didn't have much time to experience the true English weather, as I had a train to Edinburgh at 10 in the morning. Bye bye Merrie Olde England, hello Bonnie Scotland!
When I first arrived in Edinburgh I wasn't crazy about it, but then I was still completely wiped out from yesterday's hike (I didn't sleep very well, but I am not sore!). I checked into my hostel, great place, quiet rooms but lots of facilities... And I walked around the city, I found the shul, the kosher restaurant and bakery (all three closed today), and bought a new backpack (my old one broke in four places and was held together by knots). I still wasn't having a great impression of the city, as I was still exhausted and the weather was still quite bleak. I went back to the hostel to take a nap and, Behold!, everything changed. After an hour I was refreshed, the sun was shining, and I was ready for Edinburgh part 2. I went over to see if I could catch a Literary Pub tour (the Scots are very proud of their native authors, including, be jealous all ye nerds, J K Rowling). The tour was cancelled due to lack of people, but I'll try again tomorrow. Instead I climbed Arthur's seat, the highest point around the city up a very steep and rocky side of the hill (260 meters). The climb up was intense, but it was worth it, especially as the view of the city, with sun setting behind it, was amazing (and I couldn'tget a good picture). I walked through the city back to the hostel, and here I am, showered, drinking tea, and eating Scottish shortbread (with an OU!). I really like Edinburgh.

1 comment: