Friday, June 11, 2010

Back in London

In London I was exhausted, again, but I went into the city, to see a matinee of Henry !V Part1 at the Globe (amazing, hilarious), to the Tate Modern, back to Golders Green to relax. Yesterday I went to Westminster Abbey, which, while expensive, was totally worth it. I have been to so many beautiful Cathedrals and I thought I'd be Cathedralled out, but this building was amazing. And the Poet's Corner was soo Cool! Chaucer's grave! Among many others! After I went to the British Museum. A word on the museum. Very impressive, very col to see so many important historic and cultural artifacts under one roof, but too much. I was there for three hours and I don't feel like I got a good idea of any single one of those cultures. You need to devote days to that museum to really get its full potential, but that is just too. Some of the artifacts on exhibit though, are very neat, both for their importance (the Rosetta Stone) and their inherent grandeur (the wall carving from Nimrud).
After I got bored with the museum I met a British friend who i met in Buenos Aires for a drink, and went to another Shakespeare performance, this time Macbeth, at the Globe. If you have never been to the Globe, I have to explain. The theater is round, and on the floor is room for a number of what they call groundlings, people who pay 5 pounds to stand up the entire show. this is what I did. However, the floor is right by the stage and between the stage and the doors for the actors, so there is quite a bit of audience interaction. This production of Macbeth happened to be the single most bloody and gruesome play I have ever seen, and there were quite a lot of screeching girls, and some screaming guys, when the witches crawled beneath people or bloody body parts shot out of no where. It was all quite fun, and I am definitely getting my summer Shakespeare fix. I almost don't miss Shakespeare in the Park.
today I just wrote and did laundry.
Have a great shabbos!

No comments:

Post a Comment