Friday, June 4, 2010

Edinburgh and the Last Few Days

Whew. I have been completely exhausted these last few days. Edinburgh nightlife just drains you. Nah, it's actually all the hiking that I ended up doing for the few days before. Between the Peak District and peat bogs on Sunday, Scafell Pike, Bowfell Pike, biking, and the Lake District on Monday, walking Edinburgh and Arthur's Seat on Tuesday and Wednesday, I had no energy. I spent a good amount of time walking around in a bit of a daze and taking naps in parks. Still, the weather has been great, I got a good feel for the city, and had quite a bit of fun. I went on a literary pub tour a few nights ago, led by two actors who quoted Robert Burns poetry in the original and passages from other great Scottish writers, and took us to some great pubs. Very funny guys, very good tour. The people here are also very nice, especially the people in the tourism industry (the fellow at the bus station spoke with me for half an hour trying to figure out my plans and in the end saved me over 100 pounds. As a New Yorker I felt like he was going to lose his patience, but he kept going. It has been like that almost everywhere except by the Lake District, where, I have to say, the people were a bit rude and impatient and really not very hospitable. Oh well.
I write in the past tense because after shabbos, I have a 5am bus up to Fort William, where I will attempt to conquer the third, and highest, of the three Peaks. I'll be spending shabbos here in Edinburgh with the community here. They say it is small, but very hospitable.
I have to add that Edinburgh may be one of my favorite cities I have seen so far. It is small, but it really has a great personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment