Friday, June 11, 2010

Ben Nevis was built up by nearly everyone I spoke to. The Rabbi in Edinburgh told me to be very careful, that a number of frum people from Glasgow had to be rescued, the leaflets and information packets all had bright bold red warnings, and the tourist information folks at the Information Center in fort Wiliiam all warned me about navigation and steep drops and snow and high winds and quick, blinding fogs and and and...
They almost scared me.
I must say that it was the EASIEST, SIMPLEST mountain I have ever climbed. It was barely a strenuous hike. I sweated, sure, but I did not breathe hard once, and I had only slept an hour the night before, and an hour on Thursday night. The trail was insanely easy to follow and there was nothing difficult at all about this hill. For that is what it really was. A hill. in fact, when I asked the fellow at the Parks office about the mountain and what he thinks, he said, I quote "it is a shit hill." It really is. I was extremely disappointed.
I was easily able to make it down and on a bus to go to Skye, which really cheered me up with some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever scene. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment